View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

for about 9 years i have worked 11pm to 7am shift (more like 11pm till 11a.m. most nights) and what that kinda shift is doing to my family life, and what its doing to me physically is not worth 18 bucks an hour anymore. i took that job so i could run my lawn care business during the day (9 years ago), little did i know that i would be working 12 to 15 hour nights (which was good overtime, but not good for running my business on top of that), the money was great, the insurance was great, i spent 9 years building up a 401k so it wasn't all for nothing. but i'm burnt out, another year and i probally will be divorced, i see my kid mabee once a week and i sleep 2 or 3 hours a day if i'm lucky.

my point is, make sure you know exactly what your getting into. it doesn't sound like a bad opportunity if there is room to move into a day time position. night shift is not for everybody.. the only thing that got me through it was the amount of debt i was carrying due to stupid mistakes, however.. i've worked my way out of that hole over the last few years, and at the end of the year i'm out of there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloscaperman View Post
My friend drives a Beer truck and recommended me to a 11PM -7AM night job Monday - Thursday. It pays from $15HR-$19HR and some nights you have to work 15 hrs loading the trucks up with cases of beer&wine. (Talked to the recruiter today)

I love the 90% of my business but not snow plowing anymore. I am afraid if I leave the plowing part I may end up hurting my business future with my customers. I may have a friend that I will transfer my plowing accounts to and not be threaten with him doing the mowing, mulch, cleanups because he owns a transmission shop.

What hurts me is I have a few customers that would be hurt. I have this one old lady about 95 years old that no one can stand because of her way of dealing with people and her pricing is based from the 1960's. I live about 1/4 mile from her and I don't mind and she is getting bad where she can't really walk. idk what I am trying to say but I need some opinions. I do like snow plowing but not when we get more then 5 inches of snow and the crazy cold hours and the money is like beer money compared to the overhead WHICH MY OVERHEAD IS NOT AS HIGH AS MOST GUYS! The lady asked me but you own a business are you looking at seasonal or full time? I told her that I am getting out of the plowing business and if I like this job I will sell my business or give it to another landscaper.

Page generated in 0.03935 seconds with 7 queries