View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gt331 View Post
Soloscaper my advice to you is do what feels best for you and if you know that taking a winter job is best for you take it. Alot of guys on here are gonna not work for those beer wages, but alot of people don't realize that that is consistant money every week 40-50hrs a weeks at $15hr adds up to a nice paycheck for the next 4 months. Plowing causes alot of stress plus you are putting your finances on the line and if it doesn't snow your sunk, and when you spend your summer bank fixing your plow when it breaks your sunk. Personally, I do alot of plowing in the winter but I also work about 30-40hrs on a farm over the winter to make some spending money. I plow because I like plowing snow and it's a bonus. But I now have my snow buisiness to where I relie on having employees plowing with me and that's my biggest stress while plowing. Talk to your customers and be straight with them, explain why you are dropping there snow work, they will keep you if you are good at there lawn etc. good luck!
Thanks for the insight. The warehouse is about 3 miles from my house so it's sweet to only spend a few bucks on gas. So far I like it. It's a different kind of hussle and I like the fast pace work. You have to memorize the truck numbers like #37 truck needs 5 cases of Pnoir, 6 Majors, 20 Pg's etc.. It's nice because the place is warm and the people work at the same level of hustling. It makes me realize how much I took running my business for granted in different aspects and my adrenaline is back at 100%. Some people don't like being told but I guess I needed it to put me back in my place when it comes to working mad crazy. It's hard to explain.

This second job is putting the training wheels back in my business TEMPORARY because I basically "Lagged business wise this year" with my Ex almost dying this summer and my mind was just garbled everywhere. I am going to focus 100% to make $$$$! I already have people that want to work with me but I won't because the owner of the liquor warehouse would probably fire me. Plus if I want to buy a house & it would look good that I run a business and also work a second night job.

Also getting paid $19 HR is about the same from what most guys make at mowing from reading this forum. From the gas from your mower, truck, oil, spark plugs, tires, insurance, taxes, to the coffee and bottle of water lowers your goal at $60 an hour. These little things add up. Unless your ripping your customers off and or doing shobby work your not going to make a crazy amount unless you know what your doing and it takes years to build that. This is almost my 4th year and I getting close to making a large amount of profit that I see as good.

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."

Last edited by soloscaperman; 11-18-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Page generated in 0.04376 seconds with 7 queries