View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Actually both light and water are not listed... without those 2 elements, nothing happens except death...
Actually light and water are not elements.

Quote:
One thing that is for sure in my area is that no cell elongation in the leaves have taken place in the past several weeks,,, so N hasn't been valuable in that area(how about the rest of the plant)...
So you assume because you have not "observed" growth that N is not being utilized by the plant.

Quote:
I still say that the roots in a lawn could not use even a 1/4 pound of N/k during the past weeks, let alone applying it several weeks ago and not getting response until now...

I expect that cool season grasses are able to continue to extract nutrients from the soil well after the first frost, but I suspect there is a soil temperature cut-off point for doing so... In fact I wouldn't be surprised that the 2weeks of 'response time' + about 4 weeks of active growing that 1 pound/k of N gets used up during September and another 1/2 pound/k applied on Oct. 1st might also get used up, in spite of CenroWisco grinding to a halt...

And you have reached these conclusions how? Experimentation? "Observation"?

Quote:
Anyways, it would be nice if that Turf Association mentioned the soil temps and accessability to N... AND... what are the chances of the roots actively growing again once the ground freezes in the Fall even IF it thaws again for Indian Summer???
"Anyways", that information is available if you would bother to look for it. Instead all we get is more wild theories instead of accurate information.

Page generated in 0.04187 seconds with 7 queries