View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Louisiana CDL/Trailer GVWR Question

I need some folks from Louisiana to help me decipher how the law is regarding CDL requirements of a class A license, and at what point I will be required to get one. I know that some other states have similar wordings, therefore others may be able to chime in as well.

In Louisiana, Class A License (Combination Vehicles) - Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000. NOTE: If the vehicle being towed has a GVWR of 10,001 lbs. or more, Class A is required. However, you will be required to test in a combination that has a GVWR of 26,001 lbs. or more.

Here is my question. I have read extensively and am still fuzzy about the "provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000#." Given this scenario, can someone explain to me how this works.

Can I, with any vehicle (say a 1 ton dually gvwr 13,000) tow a trailer with GVWR 10,002# and be legal. Or do I need a class A CDL for any trailer towed behind any truck if that trailer's GVWR is 10,001# or more.

Thanks

Page generated in 0.03465 seconds with 7 queries