View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member
Originally Posted by burnthefurniture View Post
I need some folks from Louisiana to help me decipher how the law is regarding CDL requirements of a class A license, and at what point I will be required to get one. I know that some other states have similar wordings, therefore others may be able to chime in as well.

In Louisiana, Class A License (Combination Vehicles) - Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000. NOTE: If the vehicle being towed has a GVWR of 10,001 lbs. or more, Class A is required. However, you will be required to test in a combination that has a GVWR of 26,001 lbs. or more.

Here is my question. I have read extensively and am still fuzzy about the "provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000#." Given this scenario, can someone explain to me how this works.

Can I, with any vehicle (say a 1 ton dually gvwr 13,000) tow a trailer with GVWR 10,002# and be legal. Or do I need a class A CDL for any trailer towed behind any truck if that trailer's GVWR is 10,001# or more.

No "A" needed.

Key word is PROVIDED.

You ned a class when over 26k combined PROVIDED the trailer is over 10k.

Don't meet either of those numbers and you don't need an "A".

Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Page generated in 0.04174 seconds with 8 queries