View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Dry grass causes less of a seal for the front edge. Lowering the front skirt will give a better seal (but may push the leaves now that I think of it.) But as youve read, cutting low with the skirt in the low posy has its own problems. Thats why I mentioned letting the grass grow longer (say .5") towards the end of the season so you can raise the deck .5" and set the skirt in the low posy without hitting anything.
You'd have to be careful the first mow though just to be sure but its a pretty quick n easy job to change the skirt height to try it.

Im really just thinking out loud here though so take it with a grain of salt!
No, I always value you're comments because you are one of the few that comes into LawnSite that has used several Super Z's in varied conditions.

Grass is not growing enough in my area to reach a decent cutting size, most of the grass I'm cutting where the leaves are a problem is Crabgrass. This type grass (which is actually a weed) is totally dormant, meaning between it being dead and the conditions being extremely dry, the junk breaks all to pieces and turns into such very fine particles it is very dusty. This junk thrown in with the leaf dust (which is full of mold) can really work on anyone; whether they have allergies or not. There are large numbers of people who get really sick from the mold in leaf dust.

I can understand how lowering the skirt would generate more suction, which in return would help the blowout. I honestly don't need the aggravation of moving the skirt, when all I do is crawl on the XR-7 and handle the problem with ease.

I started the big mower Saturday when the temperature required the choke, meaning I was forced to take my left hand, while my right hand was turning the key, raise the choke until it fired, then lower the choke to half position for a couple of seconds to get the engine running. Many people think, "well what's the big deal," but they don't understand I have not needed to use this procedure in six years. I then walked over to the fuel injected mower, turned the key, and it was immediately running perfectly. If I had my way there would never be another mower engine made that was not fuel injected. There is a tremendous difference, but I guess if a person has never experienced the ease of starting at all times, but especially in cold weather, the more powerful feel because of eliminating governor reaction lag time, and the much better fuel economy, they couldn't honestly know the difference. If a person does ever experience this, like myself, they will hate going back to a carburetor type engine, which I already have.

Page generated in 0.03858 seconds with 7 queries