View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heritage View Post
Gave it a read and it is more detailed than what I read from Penn State and Rutgers some years ago.

How we approach the May Nitrogen application following the Late season fertilization program season may change a bit more for 2013.

Was using 1/2 Lb of N but may cut back to 1/4 lb N, and keep K at 1/2 lb, depending on soil type and soil tests.

My concern with N in May is Brown Patch is right around the corner, and I cannot control the weather.

Would be nice if OSU would write a paper, discussing a "Plan" to follow late season fertilization with some "Strategies" for Spring rates of N as well as Macros P, K and S.

I did not see any discussion with the Late Season Fertilization paper by OSU, on the Benefits of Potassium with the Late season Plan, extending the storage of Carbohydrates with keeping the grass greener longer and helping ward off problems with Snow Mold.

More to learn.

Thanks for the article
This is the summary at the end of the article and perhaps the thing to do would be to reflect back into the research and see where these claims have merit and where they are deficient...

... "Late-season fertilization lengthens the fall/winter green period and enhances the rate of spring green-up without stimulating excessive shoot growth, thus allowing the turf plant to maintain higher levels of carbohydrates than when spring/summer fertilization is used. This provides both aesthetic and physiological benefits to the plant and customer/client. Nitrogen applied during early spring increases shoot growth rates and decreases the levels of available carbohydrates in the plant, resulting in depressed root growth rates. Late-season nitrogen applications have no similar negative effects on root growth and, in fact, increase root growth during mid winter to early spring. Better carbohydrate storage and root growth ultimately result in a more stress tolerant turfgrass plant during stress periods. No winter damage or snow mold injury occurred as a result of late-season nitrogen applications in OSU research. ..."

I look at this as an explanation as to "Why", the SpringTime natural growth is healthy versus the application of water soluable N to throw it off its normal development,...

What is it in the Summary that you don't agree with???

Page generated in 0.03664 seconds with 7 queries