View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
Your unemployment rating has a cap, once you reach that cap, it doesn't matter what happens, your rating doesn't go up, you can't be charged more.

This is a seasonal business. How long have you been in business? How many of your employees stay employed year round vs. getting laid off? If you have done this for a few years, and laid off 100% of your employees in November and rehire in April? Chances are you are already capped, so what difference does one more joker make?
If been in it long enough, however we were 1099 for awhile, last season when some guys quit it so happened that when we re-hired the new guys finished the season with less than 3 months and could not collect. The few good guys I kept on over the winter and thus I have not had to officially lay anyone off. The person worked from 2011 unit just a few months ago, but failed to show up to work. Later I found out he went on vacation. I think I'm below the cap and I'd like to stay that way if possible.

Don't get me wrong, if it was a lay off, or a basic your fired issue I wouldn't argue it. But he didn't show up to work, that dumb if he could have collected on that.

Funny part is I did end up hiring him back about 6 weeks after. He's been working great since

Page generated in 0.03707 seconds with 7 queries