View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My plan is to grow into a four man operation, 3 and myself. I call it the garage model. I see many small garages operating with the owner running the business from the office while he has 2-3 employees working in the garage. These businesses seem to provide a very nice income to the owner and a good paying job to the guys doing the physical work. I plan on growing slowly and reaching my goal before I get too old to complete the work on my own. I have certain thresholds to reach before taking each step. I hear many times about having a business plan on paper. For myself, I have written nothing on paper. I am constantly thinking about my plan and making small changes to how I plan on proceeding. The most important part of the plan is to have cash on hand to move to the next step. I know this way will be very slow, however when I make that step I will have enough cash to cover for when all doesn't go according to plan. Such as the week of rain with no income, break downs, employee issues, and not to mention customer issues. Having a nice cash reserve should allow the business to operate normally and work through the problems. IMO, a strong cash reserve is the key to success for everyone from solo's to very large companies.
Blizzard 860HD
7 1/2 ft Western Plow
Toro 7/24 snowblower
2 Toro CCR 2450 snowblowers
48" Allis Chalmers
48" Ferris WB
36" Exmark Viking
21" Toro
21" Poulan Pro
2- Echo PB755H
Echo & Ryobi trimmers
Echo PAS 265 & attachments