View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I chose to skim over most of the responses as everyone has a different opinion. $13,500 is more than enough to start a business assuming you have a truck to with. Buy a new commercial grade weedwacker, backpack blower, and hedge trimmer. Buy a used or new trailer 5x10 to a 6.5x12, it all depends on what size mowers you need.

Your biggest decision is what size mowers to buy, do the properties in your zip code have small gates that only a 22" can fit in? can only a 36" fit? and so on.

Most people already have a 22" mower so just use that as long as the cut is acceptable. If you can fit a 48" mower through most gates in your zip code then get a 48" mower, if not you NEED a 36" mower or you will waste time with the 22". If you have wide open property in most of your zip code you can get a 52" or 60" mower.

Look on craigslist and eBay for deals on used equipment in your area, get commercial equipment with under 1200 hrs because it should last you at least 3 seasons before hydros need to be replaced or other expensive components.

22" to 36" mower should be a walk-behind, i prefer belt driven 36" over hydro
48" to 52" can be walk-behinds, but I prefer stand-on mowers. Once again if you are in wide-open areas then ztr's would be fine as well.
60" and up is when you should be a ztr

Everything is different for your application.

THERE HAVE BEEN 4 THREADS IN THE PAST WEEK ON EXACT MOWER SIZE AND COST TO BUY. Look them up in the search bar.

Look professional and plan on spending $500-$2000 in advertising, I advise postcards.

-Michael

(For a trailer, echo/stihl weedwacker, blower, hedge trimmer, 22" mower, and 36" mower you will be in the $3500-$6000 brand new. Look into World Lawn Mowers for a cheap new walk behind, I have heard good reviews and my local shop just started selling them this year.)

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN

Page generated in 0.03326 seconds with 7 queries