Thread: Website update
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
The primary thing is that you have control of the domain registration. With that, it's easy to make a copy of the site, move you to another host, and point your domain name to the new server.
Sadly, even with that you have to watch. I have seen some places build a site for a client, but they technically own it. Separately, a lot of places that provided templated sites, such as 1&1 does with their templates sites, they retain rights to the images, so you can't just copy it and move it.

In fact, I'm building a system for a service right now that will be similar, you get a free simple single page site (and a contact us page), yet the client just can't move it since the templates use images that are licensed for use on the service I am building, the end client has not paid royalties to use the images on their own. Not that they can't do it, just the legalities of it between them and where we obtained rights to the images.

If you don't already have access to it, get your cPanel login from Crystal Coast so you can make your own changes (or have someone else make them for you). You may want to also verify the rights for the stock images that are used on your site in case you do move the site. (Example: http://www.google.com/searchbyimage?...ighting_01.jpg )

-Greg

Last edited by greg8872; 12-01-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Page generated in 0.03359 seconds with 7 queries