View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 06:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
The statement in bold is very true. For me as well. They may have made a few bucks more per hour right after high school but 5-10 yrs down the road when they're still making on $20/hr or salaried at $30,000 for their construction job, that's when it all pays off. I [had] a friend that made fun of me for starting a landscape company when that was his dream after high school and he thought he'd make it happen and that no one else can do it and his advertising plan was about 100 fliers into the newspaper box on some mailboxes, got 3 phone calls for mowing, gave up and then says "there's no money in it, it's stupid for you to even try". This was my 2nd year in business and my gross revenue grew about 600% from last year. He now works for an underground directional drilling company, he makes about $18.50/hr and he'll probably max out at $25/hr, he has no degree past high school, keep in mind, in MN that's about 8 months of work, at most! The most he could possibly make is about $40,000/yr.

He and a couple friends (who were at one point my friends and work the same low level jobs, one works retail, the other works for the same construction company and just graduated and has no intentions of going to school nor is he smart enough to do much else) try talking me down for going to school for Hort. & how I started out small with my business (who doesn't? his beliefs are that you must have a fleet of mowers, 20 ft trailer, & skid steer to start out) and all I can do is sit back and laugh because they have nothing to their names except a decent pickup and a girlfriend. He has total resentment for this industry because he failed miserably and I find it hilarious because I'm living his dream basically and it's just the start of my plans.

Granted, I will be selling my existing trailer in the spring/summer & buying an enclosed as well as selling my two WB's and buy a TTHP and then a Walker GHS after I get the first few decent sized installs completed for next year and pay off some CC's & student loans.

5-10 years down the road (planning on purchasing a franchise this year and I will manage it and have employes handle the ops and simultaneously run my business) when I have multiple properties as well as new dirtbikes, 5th wheel toy hauler, brand new diesel, take mult vacay's, spend the winters down south between racing and hanging out at my property down there that I'll be purchasing in the next few years, those morons will still be "clocking in" at 7am and "clocking out" when they leave the jobsite and going home in a worn out vehicle and going home to their crappy, outdated house.

They may [pretending to] be on top of the world, but it'll only take a short amount of time to show the results from the choices of those who chose not to go to college and have no chance of starting a business of their own.
A little arrogant don't you think? Especially when you speak of your success in a future tense? I can see why they are former friends of yours, if you are this condescending behind their back I can imagine how you are when you are in front of them. IMHO you should probably wait until you ARE successful before you say going to college has really benefitted you. In 5-10 years when you sit in an office and have a big house with lots of toys and money give us an update

Page generated in 0.03842 seconds with 7 queries