View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
That can't be true. They've been in central Illinois for at least 3 years and should have made their way down there by now.

Imidicloprid is the effective treatment. Depending on the size of the tree, The Bayer product with Merit will work, but I personally feel you could spend too much for the over-the-counter product for larger trees. At that point I'd call an arborist to do a root injection.

Another thing to think of also is the amount of money that might be spent to save these trees. By the time you figure the cost to treat them over their lifetime, you could have already cut it down and had a new tree started.

And what if your treatment fails, you're still stuck with having to cut and replace the tree.

I tell people to let them go until they die. There is probably a concerted effort of people out there holding onto Ash seeds and seedlings in confined treated areas, so if the bore does it's number and disappears, the Ash will flourish again.

That's a very good point. The Bayer treatment isn't what I would call cheap but then again, I'm not sure how many treatments I could get out of a ~$124 jug of the stuff or even if the shelf life of the product would not allow me to use the same jug for multiple years?

They shade the rear of my house pretty well and like I said there is no sign of leaf damage/branches being dead at this point.

I know green ashes' grow pretty quickly and I would just hate to wait 20 years or so for a newly planted tree to be the size these ashes' are right now.
ECHO PB-300e
Old beast! I cant wait to
get my new decals in the mail!!!

Page generated in 0.04400 seconds with 7 queries