View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

this is no place to be lazy or problems will show up in the spring.

For handhelds, wash the equipment first. Spray dust and grime off carbs. Empty tanks and run them out of gas. switch the choke on and off a time or two right before its out of gas and sputtering to remove all the gas from the carb. Then I pull the plug and spray some engine fogger into the cylinder when its cooled off. pull the cord a few times to get the fogger coated through the cylinder and put the plug back in. Stored with empty gas tank. New air filters and spark plugs can be put in at this point also. For chain saws, i follow the procedures above, also clean the entire saw with bar/chain removed, then reassemble. Chain gets sharpened, and the chain saw is stored with Bar Oil topped off (unless they leak. If so, I empty them), and store.because the air filter and spark plugs may not be readily accessable on these units, new spark plug and air filter goes in at this point.

Mowers and equipment with fuel shut offs:
Wash the equipment with soap and water, than oil change and sharpen blades. I run stabile in all my gas, so as I add gas, there is always stabile in it. For the winter, I ensure the fuel valve is off, then start and run the engine until the motor staves of gas and dies. All fuel is out of carb at this point. When the engine cools down, I then pull the spark plug and use engine fogger in the cylinder. With the plug removed, pull the cord a few times to distribute the engine fogger. Then top off the gas in the tank for storage. I do NOT replace the spark plugs or air filters at this time typically unless they are really bad. I wait till spring, and when I first run the equipment, there will be a bit of smoke from the fogger. Once that is cleared in teh spring, new spark plug and air filter goes in.

Equipment without fuel shut offs:
This really comes down to whether the gas tank is plastic or metal for me. If its a plastic tank, you can either drain all gass or top it off, but I prefer to drain all gas and follow the rest of the directions above.

If its a metal gas tank, do all the above, and ensure you top off the tank when your done. Metal gas tanks are prone to rust and condensation will build up if you dont top off the gas.

All gas in every piece of equipment should have Stabil in it at this point. All equipment should be clean and lubed where necessary. All carbs and linkages should operate smoothly and not be coated in dust/oil/grime. All cylinders should be sprayed with engine fogger. This should help prevent troubles in the spring. OH, and one more tip....try to find a gas station in your town that does NOT use ethanol in their gas because its the main culprit to our carb headaches we all encounter.
2012 21" Honda HRC-216 mower
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#1
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#2
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
Mclane 25" Reel Mower
2010 Husqvarna 21" mower
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2013 Stihl BR 600 Blower
2013 Stihl HS81 t Hedge Trimmer
2014 Stihl SH 86 C E Blower Vac
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts
200? Billy Goat AE550 Core Aerator

Last edited by rbljack; 12-05-2012 at 02:20 PM.

Page generated in 0.03920 seconds with 7 queries