View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't want to post this in the forum because people already give me too much shĭt about supporting Kichler so much. But at the risk of getting smacked around again, I'll give you my 2 cents. My opinion is they used the wrong fixture. You'd never see that problem with Kichler Design Pro LED lighting. The LEDs and driver are fully potted and encased are 100% moisture and waterproof. And the lens is completely sealed as well, unless someone has taken it off and put it back on incorrectly. I try to explain this to people all the time. FX lights are not designed that well, IMO. Aside from the bluish light they put out (covered only by the amber lenses they install stock) they haven't taken care of the main issues that get to LED lights and make them fail over time. Kichler has designed their spot lights so well that you can actually submerge them in a tank of water for 30 days - plugged in and running the entire time - and pull the fixture out and it will still be working perfectly and you won't have any water or moisture intrusion.

I know there are other brands that are equally impressive. I just can't speak to them since I don't have any personal experience. My only point is that it really pays to do your research and install quality stuff that isn't going to fail like that. And although the lamp itself hasn't failed, I still consider that a failure if the light has to go through condensation before it can get outside the fixture - that's a failure IMO. You're losing lumens and the light is not dissipated evenly anymore because of this. So it's not functioning like it should. To me, that's a failure.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon

Last edited by JimLewis; 12-07-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Page generated in 0.03644 seconds with 7 queries