Thread: funny
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 02:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Jim, I have to disagree, I only use credit or debit cards, I always know what my balance is ESPECIALLY in the business account, I ALWAYS have the company budget and overall finacials in my head and know where I stand everyday. I know your wayyyy bigger than me, I couldn't imagine not knowing how much money I had in the bank being your size company?
I'm not talking about my business. I'm talking about my personal money. I use cash instead of card PERSONALLY. For the business, 99.5% of what we buy is paid for by card or at the end of the month by mailing a check. Of course I know where our business stands financially. How else could I run an effective business?

Quote:
I think I'm a nice guy too, but payday for my guys is friday not thurs or wed, it's not my problem if you can't manage your finances.
Well, you probably get all sorts of smart guys working for your company who graduated high school, went to college, and are really good with finances. That would be great. Unfortunately, the only people around here who are willing to mow lawns in the muck and mud and rain day after day after day are mostly uneducated immigrants who never made it past 4th grade, worked in fields most of their lives and are trying their best to keep their family fed and their rent paid even though they only work at a fairly low paying job. Don't get me wrong. We pay well. We pay as good or better than most companies in our area for routine maintenance workers. But that still isn't a lot of money. Plus, they probably haven't ever had much training on managing finances. I'm not going to be a jerk when they come up short because their child had an unexpected health problem or their car broke down. I'm not going to say, "Sorry. I don't care that you are out of money. You can just starve until payday. Learn to manager your finances better!" That's just plain rude and uncaring. I wish I could teach each of them to manage their finances properly and I wish I could pay them all $20 or $30 an hour. That would be awesome. But it's not realistic. And since it's not, I have to be compassionate. You do whatever suits you and lets you sleep at night. But I'm not going to sit by and watch someone go without for several days or a week just because I feel they need to learn a lesson. That's messed up. If I can help someone out by loaning them a few hundred for a few days - and that someone also happens to be the same person who's busting their a$$ every day for me - then heck ya I'm going to help them. It doesn't cost me anything in the long run. And it makes for very loyal employees when you show compassion like that.

Quote:
These days you can't just charge up someones credit card without the bank being alerted and shutting down your account, I've had the bank call me several times after I've made a large purchase to confirm that it was me doing it, actually I think anything over $500 initiates a phone call from my bank.
The he|| you can't! Someone found out our Sprint/Nextel account number a year ago and charged over $2,500 in stuff in one day, had it shipped to some state halfway across the nation, and I didn't notice for a little over a month when I finally got the bill and started going over it. How they got that number, I have no idea! But Sprint went and let them buy stuff we normally would never buy, didn't ask for our password (which they always ask me for every time I call for anything), let them ship it to some other state over 2000 miles away. All this should have set off red flags but didn't. We did finally get all the charges removed but it took almost two months and a lot of my personal time to get it fixed.

A friend of mine had over $3,000 taken out of his personal checking account over just a day or two and the bank not only didn't catch it - but they made HIM prove that he didn't make the charges before they'd finally give him the money back. It was a huge hassle. They drained his account and he was without all that money for over a month.

You're naive if you think stuff like that doesn't happen. But still, I'm not going to run around scared. If it happens, fine. But I been carrying a lot of cash for a long time now and it's been working just fine for me. If someone's going to hold a gun to my head for the $350 that's in my pocket, fine. Take it. I'll go make more and you'll still be a broke thief going to hell. I'm not going to change my lifestyle just out of fear of what probably won't ever happen.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon

Page generated in 0.03905 seconds with 7 queries