View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
About 75% of landscapers are rookies when it comes to whether French drains should be installed. Note that I'm not even saying "rookies" about the installation, but the emphasis is on the "whether" part.

I continually tweak a Portland drainage page that tries to convey a few aspects about this stuff in case home owners plan to tackle some on their own, but its surprising how many consultation calls come my way.

And in many cases, promises can't be made 100%. Because so many things can be hidden from view under the ground. I'd say that compacted surface soil, including sod soil compaction, ranks among the most frequent problem.

I agree subsoil compaction (and surface compaction) is generally the most likely cause for problems related to standing water and soggy type soils, assuming there isn't a high or perched water table or mismanaged irrigation.

I read through your page, and I am in general agreement with most of what you said, with one notable exception .... your micro drainage of lawns. While this might work to some extent, it changes the soil conditions drastically in these channels. This will have a major impact on irrigation management, and IMO what you effectively have done is created a new problem with water logging.

You also might want to add a section on bioswales.

Page generated in 0.04340 seconds with 7 queries