View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
We have a mix of the $25, $35, and may $40 lawns here (1/4-1/3 acre) so if someone doesn't like your price they WILL find someone else if they are looking for a price. When and only when they go for a higher price is when the service is bad. I just walk when I get the "price" no rather than try and convince someone. Setting a premium price between all lawn contractors would only eliminate potential customers because it's a luxury service. Many people can't fix a plumbing, electrical, or automotive problem. And they NEED those things fixed. A lot of people can mow a lawn and don't need someone to mulch their landscape or trim bushes.

The other thing is catering to those who can afford your services. If someone wants a price over the phone and doesn't want to meet in person, fine here's my starting price......."click". Just look at the direction residential us taking. Those measuring software programs are taking the human contact out of it. I know they may save time but how can you upsell without an initial meeting? I don't know maybe it's just me but I like that initial contact and the chance to sell services.

There are plenty of business making money and lots of it in this industry. I guarantee they are not cutting lawns for $25. They probably don't even mow lawns.
Posted via Mobile Device
All true! I don't give prices over the phone either for the same reason. You have to accept the fact that everybody isn't going to buy your services, and that's fine, just like everybody can't afford a million dollar home, well EVERYBODY can't afford a landscaper either, so I wish guys would quit trying to make it so they could. We're in a luxury industry, and have to charge accordingly. Yes , most basically everyone can mow their grass, but can they do it well? Shoot, everybody can drive a car, but everybody isn't good at it, or even wants to. I never got into this thinking I was only going to mow grass, it was just a base from which to grow into other services.

Page generated in 0.03351 seconds with 7 queries