View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fence trimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulchmaster View Post
Not going to pass this one. I agree its not all that much work but the president of the company said it took the last company with 2 guys and trimmers 4 full days to trim the 1 mile of fence. Not a new guy either been in this business 16 years the last 11 on my own. All but 1 property we maintain get cut on a weekly basis so I guess I had a question on cutting stuff every 10 weeks. There is a difference in trimming 5k feet of fence line and brush cutting 5k feet x3' wide 3x a year.
I've got about a 1/3 to 1/2 mile fence row that I do about once a month. I have to clear/mow roughly 1 foot on the inside of the fence and from the fence to the road (about 10 ft). I mow part with a ZTR, the inside of the fence with a push mower (junky Yard Machine 4 hp mower), part of the slopes I can't get with the ZTR with the push mower, and there's part of the land that is so steep you have to do it with a string trimmer. I'm over 60, and in 100 degree heat, it takes me 4 hrs. With a second guy it takes 2 hrs. I've done it both ways!

Part of a 15 acre parcel just inside this fence, I also trim around all the trees, then around a 1-2 acre lake (at least 3 ft that can't be mowed with a bush hog because of the trees, brush and rough terrain) and the dam at the end of the lake and it takes about 3 to 4 hrs for one guy. Do this twice a year.

There are a lot of variables that can't be identified/quantified from just your description of 1 mile of fence and 3 ft out from the fence, but from what I have performed on my fence row, etc., I would say you're looking at 4 to 5 hrs for one guy. If you're talking really thick, tall grass then I would probably make my first pass with a blade, followed with a touch up with the string. Might use a walk behind trimmer depending on how rough the land is. If it's too rough, I find a regular push mower and trimmer can work about as well as anything. Like I said, without actually seeing it, it's a little tough to know for sure!

Page generated in 0.03953 seconds with 7 queries