View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreyn1812 View Post
I've got about a 1/3 to 1/2 mile fence row that I do about once a month. I have to clear/mow roughly 1 foot on the inside of the fence and from the fence to the road (about 10 ft). I mow part with a ZTR, the inside of the fence with a push mower (junky Yard Machine 4 hp mower), part of the slopes I can't get with the ZTR with the push mower, and there's part of the land that is so steep you have to do it with a string trimmer. I'm over 60, and in 100 degree heat, it takes me 4 hrs. With a second guy it takes 2 hrs. I've done it both ways!

Part of a 15 acre parcel just inside this fence, I also trim around all the trees, then around a 1-2 acre lake (at least 3 ft that can't be mowed with a bush hog because of the trees, brush and rough terrain) and the dam at the end of the lake and it takes about 3 to 4 hrs for one guy. Do this twice a year.

There are a lot of variables that can't be identified/quantified from just your description of 1 mile of fence and 3 ft out from the fence, but from what I have performed on my fence row, etc., I would say you're looking at 4 to 5 hrs for one guy. If you're talking really thick, tall grass then I would probably make my first pass with a blade, followed with a touch up with the string. Might use a walk behind trimmer depending on how rough the land is. If it's too rough, I find a regular push mower and trimmer can work about as well as anything. Like I said, without actually seeing it, it's a little tough to know for sure!
I said to just get a walk behind string trimmer too.

Website
Like our Facebook Page!
Snapper CP218520
Snapper 21351PD new engine
LawnBoy 10227 wi/bagger
Kawasaki KRB650B
Stihl BG55(X2)
John Deere
Shindaiwa LE242
Shindaiwa T242
Shindaiwa RS41
Husqvarna 445 saw
Stihl MS210C
Kawasaki KHDS600A
Stihl KM90R wi/ trimmer/blower/edger
2014 Quality Steel and Aluminum 5x8 Utility Trailer.
Toro single stage snow thrower.

Click here for my work thread!
The kid who cuts lawns, and does it very well

Page generated in 0.04047 seconds with 7 queries