View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
One of the problems with our society now is that "kids" tend move out and away from their parents, rather than adding a wing to the house or building a house out back (or living in the basement) like they used to in "the old days." It used to be that kids stuck around and helped out their parents in their old age. Now when Mom and/or dad can no longer take care of themselves, the norm is to send them off to a convalescent home. I moved back to my home town to be closer to my parents in their old age...moving back in wasn't a very attractive option to me since I had a family and my mom drove me nuts. I'm proud of the fact that thanks largely to my committment to helping them, both of my parent's died in the comfort of their home. In fact the reason I left my former career and started my lawn care/landscaping business was to better be able to take care of my mom after my dad passed. So you won't see me faulting anyone for living with their parents...ok, I might tease a little, lol.
I agree with you Darryl. I live near ALL of my family and I always want to keep my parents from living in one of those awful places and will do what I can to do so. I jokingly tell my parents that they can sell all that they have and I'll build a small 1 bedroom house in my backyard and use the rest to pay for in home care while my siblings and I fill in the voids. I've never lived far from them but my wife and I made the choice to move closer so our kids can easily spend time with grandparents and cousins. I'm a definitely family man.

But that doesn't mean you need to live with them your whole life.

Page generated in 0.04166 seconds with 7 queries