View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd tread lightly with buying "the biggest skid steer".

Actually.....I don't think I would ever advise anyone in the RESIDENTIAL landscape / hardscape industry to "buy the biggest".

Here is why:

A) In the residential world, there is reality. Reality is - if the machine is too big - it ain't going to work. It's gonna be too tight. You'll end up knocking decks down. Damaging A/C units. And so forth.

Our rubber tire skid steers are classified as 'Full Size Skid Loaders'. Weighing around 7000#. I don't want any skid loader that is one inch longer and/or one inch wider.

B) Bigger machines require bigger trailers. And bigger trailers may require a Class A license. Although not too sure about Canada. Because I'm American. Not Canadian.

I look for the smallest machine that can lift 3000#.

To the topic creator:

You're new. Crawl before you walk. Walk before you run.

Its hard to be in this industry working out of a 1/2 ton truck. You're gonna burn up brake rotors. If its an automatic - you'll fry the transmission.

You're going to first need a truck.

Next - try to find a decent used skid steer. No excavator. I been in business for 22.5 years and we do not own an excavator. Yet, I spend about 16 hours a week on one. Unless I come across a used one for the right price - I have no plans of buying one. In the residential world different jobs require all different sizes of excavators. If you own one - it's either too big or too small for the job at hand.

Good luck to ya! You'll probably be excited to show us pics of your first job. And I'll probably tell you we're not interested in seeing the pics and to post them on Facebook instead. Haha!

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Page generated in 0.04045 seconds with 7 queries