View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbotsford View Post
I have no idea what the local penalties are. I do know that the mounties take a really dim view of killing people who aren't directly attempting to do the same. (Even then they are not dancing with joy.) I don't own a handgun and have no intention of getting one. I'm getting a FAC so that I can get something bigger than a borrowed .22 to deal with porcupines.

I underplayed my argument to drive home the point: Even if were a matter of just paperwork and inquest, it would still be too much. The risks are too high. The benefits too low. THATs why I said you were loonies.

Statistically we are safer. Overall firearms deaths are 1/3 that of the US. But we are more inclined to suicide by bullet than you are. Homicide ratio is 8:1. (All numbers are per 100,000 population.

How many stories can you claim where an armed lawnsman dealt with a Black Hat and things worked out well for him. That short a list, eh?

Yeah, Yeah, I know the aphorism, "better to be convicted by 12 than carried by 6" Put up or shut up: Where are the stories either way?

I'm a staunch supporter of the right to arm bears. But it's not my neighbor or the people in my neighborhood. It's the government. But I don't have the training or the resources, so I have to be clever instead.
Shooting and killing an unarmed man running away with your blower and Ipod would likely put you in prison and 10k in legal fees. Other than trying to scare them off, I probably would not even pull out my gun. Not worth the potential problems for 700 dollars in equipment. The law almost seems to flip in these types of situations where the guy stealing your stuff has more rights than you.

When I was robbed in my car at night, I had 2 guys both with guns sneak out on either side of me while my hands were on the steering wheel and radio. Gun would have been stolen.

If someone kicks in my families door at 2AM, I will take a shot when I have a clear shot.

Page generated in 0.05347 seconds with 7 queries