View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by H & M Yard Improvements View Post
I just bid on the job at hand. I don't do by the hour. I also don't bag. I don't have a leaf vac yet so I line the bed of my truck with a tarp (depending on leaf volume ill layer the tarps) and haul everything away! Go to the dump and we pull the tarp off the truck. Bagging takes too long.
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you have an hourly rate that you use to base your bid from?

How long bagging takes depends on what you're bagging with. If you're just using a walk behind it can be very time consuming, especially if you're not mulching the leaves up first. I mulch them up first and bag them with the Lazer on most accounts. The bags can still fill up quickly, but I have yet to ever have to dump more than once in a day doing it my way (I did have to come back once to get my mower). I have one account that I have to do with a walk behind and I put a 60 gallon green barrel on top of the mower deck to dump into so I don't have to run out to my rig as often.

The problem when you haul leaves in bulk is that you really can't fit that many per load, and it can take a while to load and stomp them down and all. Running to dump my load and get back would take about a half hour, time that I could be working. I don't like leaving my tools on a job site either, so I'd have to load them all up too before leaving and then unload when I get back...just too much time mobilizing/demobilzing and traveling to me. My dump has very limited hours too....Mon, Wed and Sat 8:30 to 3:00.

It's nice to be aware of all the different methods, but I think we all end up doing what is best with the accounts, equipment and labor resources we have. What works for one may not work for another. I do agree that the layered tarp trick works well if you don't have a dump truck or trailer, but I find pushing a button is faster and easier

Last edited by Darryl G; 12-17-2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: typos

Page generated in 0.03396 seconds with 7 queries