Thread: customer called
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
He most likely planted annual rye grass. It grows slower and looks good all winter. Deep root growth will benefit the St Augustine. Tell him it looks good and to give you a call of he needs anything.
For his customer's sake I hope he planted annual rye, otherwise , it is going to look sooooooo bad during a majority of the year, essentially like dead grass.

Although I agree with you that the deep root depth helps alleviate the soil compaction to a extent, I still have not made my mind up about overseeding with rye here yet. A couple of things that I do not like.

1. the rye outpaces the S.A in height of growth. This makes your SA get less light at a time where it is already slowing because of less light hours available. Add to that...the fact in our environment the rye really needs to be cut every week when most of us are on two week to three week schedules.

2. In the spring when the SA typically is spreading and growing and filling in.....the rye is still there....not looking particularly good but still there, preventing the spread of the SA to its fullest capability.

3. The seed no matter how good of quality - stands a chance of introducing weeds that were not previously there. This could potentially means a need for herbicide typically not used on the lawn.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!

Page generated in 0.03306 seconds with 7 queries