View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
That is a toughie, AX. I use an auto air conditioner metal stem dial thermometer, available for $5 at any auto parts store. Perfect for soil temps...but...the numbers are too small for photography.

I also have a wireless thermometer on the porch, which reads out by radio signal to a little LCD screen on my desk. But it takes batteries and I am not sure the moisture, the batteries, and the radio signal under the soil would work satisfactory.

I have another one that sticks to my window with an LCD readout...numbers big enough...but probably not suitable to bury.
Good question, is your soil not frozen, under the snow? Will the temp rise due to the insulating effect of the snow--assuming the deeper soil is warmer?
Very windy here, but only about an inch of snow fell.
I have about 4 tiny sprouts from perennial rye seed I planted in a cup plunged into the soil on November 17th. Air temp is 33 tonight.
If they don't make actual soil thermometers I'll check into that air conditioner... thanks...
The soil is or was frozen before the snow , but many areas will actually thaw under the snow... the frost was less than 4" deep in most areas...
Nevertheless, where I'll be placing the thermometer will be in the soil outside around the foundation planting of the house... It will be protected by what most people call a 'porch',,, gardeners call a 'cold frame'... that will freeze and thaw quite often during the season...

I doubt we've had anything germinate since Nov. 17th... Good job observing your side of the Lake... Do you expect your P. Rye Sprouts to survive the winter??? My guess is that those tiny sprouts have roots all the way to the bottom of the cup already...
I understand you guys got mostly rain from Blizzard 'Brianna'...

Page generated in 0.03953 seconds with 7 queries