View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
What you have here is the reason people prefer certain decks in different parts of the country.

The Exmark Ultra Cut is designed for further processing of grass as it moves through the deck. The further processing allows grass clippings of a much smaller size to be discharged, which in return helps the clippings disappear by filtering into the standing grass. You will also find that because the Ultra Cut has stronger suction it will require more scraping to keep the underside clean where moisture is involved.

The Scag Velocity Plus deck is designed to handle large amounts of grass; but to process it in a faster manner, which in return causes the grass to be discharged in a larger size. The larger size clippings have a tendency to lay on top not filtering into the cut grass, as does the clippings of the Ultra Cut.

The advantage of the Ultra Cut is enabling the grass clippings to disappear more easily, which in return leaves a more manicured look.

The disadvantage of the Ultra Cut is more scraping to keep the deck functioning as designed.

The advantage of the Velocity Plus is its ability to cut grass and weeds of any size at a high rate of speed. The decks free-flow design allows it to handle moisture laden grass without requiring the under-deck cleaning needed by the Ultra Cut.

There is no deck that performs better than the Ultra Cut for a manicured look in plush grass, the same as, there is no better deck than the Velocity Plus for performing in all other conditions.

There is a place for both decks, and there are large numbers of both decks sold throughout the country proving this point.
That's the best it has ever been explained in the difference between the two.
I had a guy argue with me not to long ago saying he would take his velocity any day vs my clumping Ex. His words.. Saying that i have to double cut everything. But like you said the velocity is designed to move the grass out quickly leaving large blades of grass on top of what has already been mowed. Dry or wet you still have to double cut with it as well if not you would be left with a bunch of dead clippings on top of the lawn..

Page generated in 0.04033 seconds with 7 queries