View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades Lawn Maintenance View Post
I understand that. Honestly I don't know wether to get a 1500 or 2500. The only work the truck will be used for is lawn care (pulling a 3000 lbs enclosed trailer). Plus it will be used as a personal vehicle. I never haul or plow anything. It will be a gas. I dont have 10k lbs to haul daily so no need for diesel. Is there anything else you can think of that I'm missing?
The last thing I can think to ask would be your budget? Sounds to me like a half ton is more than enough truck for what you're asking it to do. I'm a Ford guy, so I'd recommend a 2006.5 or newer F-150 with the 5.4. You should be able to snag s nice one well under 20k. Miles, figure 12,000 per year, try to stay close to that number. That said, miles really don't mean as much as they used to.

Do you anticipate you're going to grow or expand the services you offer? If so, I'd look for a 3/4 ton, either Ford or Dodge for the solid front end. It's less to go wrong vs an IFS. With a 3/4 ton, you'll get a heavier frame, better tranny, stronger axles, bearings, etc. which will add up to a truck that will tow whatever you're pulling with much better road manners (tail won't wag the dog). You'll sacrifice ride comfort and MPGs, but anything towing is going to get crappy mileage. Often times, you can get a great deal on a used 3/4 ton vs a comparably equipped half ton because the larger trucks aren't used as frequently as family vehicles. Less demand for them. Again, try and find one that wasn't worked if you're buying used.

On a side note, I've yet to hear anyone complain that they bought too much truck.

Page generated in 0.05023 seconds with 7 queries