View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
As a solo, I agree with these observations. This is why my question, and your observations are interesting to hear. I probably have more than a few years on you (maybe decades?), so the issue of slip/fall is of great concern. Some have told me, "You are an accident waiting to happen...."

In 17 seasons, I have not missed one day of work because of injury, or illness. .... would like to keep it that way.
Roger;
Thanks for the most generous reply. I know I'm a know-it-all. My wife and friends tell me. And that I lecture when I talk. My kids explained it to me.

So I have lots of opinions on how to maintain the most important piece of equipment of all...ME. And I'll try not to get too preachy.

I've heard all those age related comments too. "How long are you going to keep doing this?" "What if you get hurt?" "How old are you!"
I've thought it thru and come up with the question,"What am I going to do if I don't? Sit on the couch and watch Maury on TV? I don't think so!
I'm going to mow lawns as long as I'm able.
If I get injured somebody might not get their lawn mowed.
I'm 66 and will work 'till at least 72.

I stay positive. I like mowing lawns as well as anything that I do. Plus they pay me to do it. And it ain't no pity party. I mow world corporate headquarters & estates. Folks that won't tolerate second rate services.

I stay in shape. My biggest problem is that corporations roll over their management every 5 years or so and the new plant manager always calls me into his office. With that lets-get-rid-of-the-old-guy look in his eye. He'll start with bla bla this and that. I reply with "can you show me?" "Lets to see." We walk the property. By the time we're back in the office he's winded and sweating and I'm not. His response is "Same contract as last year?"

Page generated in 0.03574 seconds with 7 queries