View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Iím basically at the point with the lawn biz where Iím going to dictate to the client, ď..do you want healthy, vibrant grass or NOT...?...Ē Basically a personal trainer for Turf. Put the focus on the whatís best for the lawn and move away from blaming the homeowner for their ignorance of ďwhatís best for the grassĒ.

A number of my clients flat out have the best looking grass on their street if not neighborhood. The reason for this is the higher mowing height of 3.0 to 3.5Ē vs. the typical scalp mowing. Also on these accounts Iím in charge of how the irrigation is set, fertilization and if they need aeration or not.

What Iím pushing for 2013 is bundling a package that gets most if not all of my accounts up to these standards very close as what I have on my OWN lawn.

For cool season turf - charge them the same amount per month for the growing season March/April through October/November and float the added expense of aerations, weed control, fertilizer and weed control equally across the growing season. This way it keeps the lawn moving in the right direction for constant improvement. Youíre there every week and you can tweak fret inputs, spot spray etc.. They are paying the same amount per month so they wonít resist spending extra on proper fert inputs and aeration as needed.

The CAVEATS are the clients main water cycles need to be early morning infrequent deep heavy watering no more than 3 times a week. Agree to higher mowing heights. If client insist on lower mowing heights especially in the summer drop client as per service agreement cancelation clause and get any extras back from them such as Spring aeration, fert, weed control or extras beyond regular mowing.

Page generated in 0.03431 seconds with 7 queries