View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The freezing of unprotected grasses over a period of time is evidenced every year here in Centro Wisco... Right now all of the perenial grasses are still green and edible by the deer and rodents of the wild... these grasses are under snow that is over a foot deep and that is the reason for it as we have been down below 0 degrees F already this season and haven't gotten out of the teens for a high daytime temperature for quite a while...

Oats will stay green(unprotect) down to 26 degrees is what the local farmers say... Annual Ryegrass(AR) has survived temps in the low teens, that I've witnessed(and likely goes colder as long as it doesn't last too long)... Perennial cool season grasses have stayed green all winter, even w/out snow cover, but turn brown and die in the Spring once the ground starts to thaw...

Once a person understands why this happens, then you'll have the answer to your question...
To me it is silly to wait until February to sow AR in the South, because the reason for AR in the South is for Winter GREEN...

Does your region actually get cold enough to kill AR???
My guess is NO...

Page generated in 0.03386 seconds with 7 queries