View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
If your main goal is erosion control, then seeding with rye is about your only choice. You will have warm enough day's to get germination but it is going to be slow. You need to keep the water on those seedling's to get the most growth. 1/4" - 1/2" tall ryegrass is what you can expect, but that's what happen's when you overseed at the wrong time of year. In the spring though, that grass will take off and will seriously compete with whatever you have overseeded, that will degrade whatever grass is there now, then that rye is going to check out in May, just be aware of that.
Now again it seems we have a consistancy problem...

My understanding about Southern Grasses is that they go dormant when it becomes a little chilly in the Fall so people had gotten in the habit of sowing cool season grasses to keep their lawns green for the Winter...

In the Spring/Summer it becomes too hot and the Warm Season grasses flourish on the dead bodies of the cool season grasses that could tolerate the heat...

Is this the procedure??? or not???
I suppose I don't need to know,,, but it is a curiosity...

Page generated in 0.03479 seconds with 7 queries