View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
Jim: Bi-weekly accounts aren't all bad.....They are among my most profitable accounts when analyzed on gross income/hour.......
Yah, I get all that. I understand it's more profitable per hour, if you want to think of it that way. But I'm looking at the bigger picture. Let's say I have 100 weekly accounts. And for easy math let's say they each pay me $200 a month. So I'm grossing $20,000 a month from these accounts.

But what if 30 of those accounts are bi-weekly, because I've convinced myself that it's a good idea not to turn down bi-weekly accounts. Now I'm still doing 100 accounts, but 30 of them are only at $120 a month. Now, my gross per month is only $17,600. Sure, those bi-weekly accounts are making me 20% more money. Sounds pretty awesome, until you realize that I'm actually making $2,400 less each month. What good is it to have "more profitable" accounts, when they mean I'm going to end up bring in less total revenue? Especially when I could have just stuck to my guns and got 100 weekly accounts?

The other problem is that hole in your schedule. Every other week you now have a little hole in the middle of your daily schedule at a certain time every day. I'd rather fill that hole in my schedule with someone who wants to hire me EVERY week rather than filling it with someone who can't afford to do that.

And all your other points don't hold any water at all. Your bi-weekly customers have customers next door who will see you and give you more exposure???? So what! So do every one of my weekly accounts. They feed you extra work sometimes? So what! So do my weekly accounts. They pay the full rate for all extras??? Again, the same with weekly accounts. None of these "advantages" are exclusive to bi-weekly accounts.

And then there's the fact that when people don't allow you to cut every week you end up cutting 50-100% more grass each time you mow. That's a pretty big down side as well. I just don't see the point. No advantage at all, to me.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon

Page generated in 0.04813 seconds with 7 queries