View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Whoever said experience is the best teacher sure knew what he was talking about. Having done it once and using some of the advice given I got the second pump out much easier with no wailing and gnashing. From start to end was less than an hour with no broken parts or messed up bolts. No cutting or prying was necessary. The two main things I did different:

First, took off completely the 2 bolts that hold the pump onto the frame. This is a pain because the head of the bolt has to be held to take off the nut (which is on top). The head of this bolt is under the pulley (between the pulley and the bottom of the frame). I was able to wedge a thin stubby wrench in there (9/16) and it held the bolt while I took off the nut. This is tough and you have to do it twice (once for each bolt). The thinner your wrench the better. By taking the bolts off you can drive the pump up as you tap on the bottom. Just loosening them as I did before simply does not give the pump much travel so you do not get the maximum benefit from your tapping.

Second as the pulley begins to come down the shaft you will find that your bolts are not long enough. Rather than looking for longer bolts, wedge successfully larger objects (i used chisels - that is what the green thing is in the picture) to keep the pulley from being forced up as the bolts do their work. Back out the bolts and let the pulley fall. Wedge in your object and crank on the bolts again. Keep doing this when your bolts bottom out.

Also, it is important to work evenly. Can't let the hub get cocked in there. Keep alternating bolts. If this is done correctly the hub and pulley will literally fall off eventually and nothing will be broken or dinged up. It really was amazing how smoothly the second one went.

The first pump is now sitting in it's new home.
Attached Images

Page generated in 0.03973 seconds with 8 queries