View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 05:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
... "Probably the most significant thing a turfgrass manger can do to sustain soil microbial populations is to maintain a vigorous, healthy turf. We know that grasslands are excellent microbial habitats and they can accumulate substantial microbial biomass. The same is true of well-managed turfgrass environments." ...
I agree that microbes will thrive in the right environment, but will not in the wrong environment, no matter how many times you apply them... I agree that adding compost to the soil will not only provide environment for microbes, but may actually modify the soil structure enough to benefit favorable microbes over the long term...

Now let's take a closer look at the statement above from your quote...
Maintaining "vigorous, healthy turf", as stated may sustain higher microbial populations... natural grasslands are excellent microbial habitats... and here is the clicher: "The same is true of well-managed turfgrass environments."

What have we been told here??? healthy turf = healthy microbes... and one could even change the equation to say that ,,, healthy microbes = healthy turf... all of this is the basics of understanding the relationships between soil and plants that grow in them...
I would like to take these basic ideas to the next level... whereas your quote said the same thing 3 times in 3 sentences in 3 slightly different ways,,, I would like to see a statement that goes beyond, and begins a discussion as to HOW that happens...
Not only How, but WHY certain measures will work in some soils... and why certain measures will not work in other soils... the phrase "well-managed turfgrass" is so overused and such a meaningless cop-out that I can't really see how it applies to learning anything new...
If you have weak and thin grass, you must not have "well-managed turfgrass", if you have disease well then you must not have well-managed turfgrass, and so on and so on...

So what I'd like to see is for these platitudes and cliche remarks from great scientists to drop away as we rise up into the Hows, Whys and Wherefores,,, to actually create the environment and understanding what it is,,, that's happening... That's what I'd like to see... rather than just rehashing the same old introductory comments that don't get us started in actually doing something...

Page generated in 0.03315 seconds with 7 queries