View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Already thining about next year and how to increase my customer base

Started up the lawn care business this year and did alright. This year i want to be able to mow 5+ days a week. I have no problem at all with working 7 days a week; infact i would love to have that much business. I have a new snappers50x, 2012 haulmark enclosed 6x12 passport (i want to upgrade already to 7n1/2-18-20), 09 f250 reg cab (am plowing currently with 8' fisher hd ht straight blade), 3 back pack blowers (1 echo 770), 2 trimmers, 2 hedgers, billy goat walk behind blower 13hp and various hand tools. I did ok this year but only really had about 8-10 full time accounts with numerous one-few time only jobs. I have gotten myself into the million dollar neighborhood for lawncare and plowing but i want to take over and continue to do great work while maintaining a professional price line. I could easily low ball and reap all the business but after reading numerous hours or how stupid that is and disrespectful, not to mention a failure strategy in the long run, i am unwilling to do that. I want to have a good industry standard as far as price goes, while being competitive. Anyway, when should i be advertising, how should i be advertising, and what should i realistically believe i can net in as far as new clientel? I have had some luck with lawn signs (put out less than 10 for fall cleanups and got 4 people call and made good $ on 3 of those calls (4th was a cheapo)). I have had some luck with the penny saver ( dont let the name fool you, it costed about 175) and made all the money back and then some (while netting 2-3 potential customers for next year). I dont mind back breaking work, as sick as it sounds i enjoy a honest hard days work. I started out last year and i really want to be able to charge what work is worth and be loaded with as much if not more than i can handle. I did the door hanger thing and i did not receive that many calls, compared to the amount i handed out. The 2-3% return rate was for sure on the door hangers. I am thinking about the knock and talk this year but am unsure of when i should get out there and do it. I am chomping at the bit but am sure that mr. doctor and mr.lawyer dont want to hear about how i am interested in cutting their lawn when it has 2' of snow still on it and all they want to do is ski. I guess what i am trying to get at is that i am highly motivated and have the equipment to operate to go along with it. I am thinking about getting some new equipment this year (walk behind edger, bigger trailer, walk behind aerator, ect.) but need more business to do so. Lemme know what you guys t hink i should be doing NOW and in the near future to be able to grasp a well balanced customer base. Thanks!

Last edited by RonWin; 01-08-2013 at 11:00 AM.

Page generated in 0.04021 seconds with 7 queries