Prosperous new business owner
Hey guys, and I'm looking to start my own business in Greenville, NC. I have one summer of experience in this commercially on a small scale (10-15) customers on a weekly basis. I was only doing it on the side for some extra money. I've been mowing and taking care of our house's yard for years and have won the yard of the neighborhood twice. Not saying its worth anything but I know quality yard work.
1. First of all what do I need to get started as far as license, or anything like that? I really have no idea in this category. Also tax wise and other things. Before it was all cash and didn't really make enough money for it to matter.
2. Mower.....what size do you think would be best with most lawns are going to be 1/2 acre to an acre, 2 max. Should I go with a ZTR or another type of mower.
3. For advertising what would you advise? I worked for a painting company last year and did door to door and was pretty useful. Being a new company I think it would harder to go off word of mouth at first but would start to catch up eventually. I was also thinking of getting some buddies of mine and paying them 5 bucks for every estimate/booking. Thats how the painting went. Also I was planning on starting looking now.
4. Hand tools.....any suggestions for blowers, weed eaters, and edgers maybe. Before I just used a weed eater on its side seeing as it was sufficient for the work I was doing.
5. Trailer.....I'm looking for something smaller that can basically take the mower. I have bedspace for the other tools. Any suggestions on this would be helpful. Would a used trailer work? saving anymore in the initial investment would help and I feel this would be the one place that I could use, used items.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help