View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I'm not sure why you are taking such an antagonistic attitude towards me and my wish to move beyond this intro. 101 article...
Define Proper Irrigation, How often to aerate and Then we'll know what the Universities have been telling us all along...

So the Sumagreen was likely a "Flash in the Pan" probably along the lines of compost Tea... quick action of converting some OM to useable form but will eventually eat up the food sources in the soil, the added humates and even the plant hormones... once they're gone the turf should return to normal growth...
Maybe the stuff should be used only in the Fall as the grasses are starting to slow top growth but the warm soil continues to build root mass to the best of its ability... JMO...
I don't think I'm being antagonistic at all. If you guys are talking baotu the same Sumagreen product they tried to sell to me, then we're talking about a mainly microbial product. Other things (humates, plant hormones, etc) are very small players -- small enough for their sales reps to tell me that they're inconsequential. The main thing they tried to sell me was microbes. The article you linked (with years of research to back it up) tells us that microbial additions to turfgrass systems are a waste of time and money. That's it.

Even if you did have a product "along the lines of compost Tea... quick action of converting some OM to useable form but will eventually eat up the food sources in the soil, the added humates and even the plant hormones," you still couldn't reproduce the conditions and turf quality that you can get with conventional management -- and it would cost you multiple times more to go with a compost method.

I guess I don't see the benefit in trying to re-invent the wheel. It seems that the best these alternative products hope for is to come close to conventional results. Why not use the conventional methods, get the conventional results, and save money in the process?

Page generated in 0.03713 seconds with 7 queries