View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I keep coming back to all these posts of these 60-80-100 hour work weeks that everyone posted about. It just doesn't make sense, you sacrifice time with friends, family, your health, and the list goes on and on. Sure people may say it doesn't bother me, but I will assure you it will in time. I have done those in my life.

Here's an exercise that you should try. Take out two pieces of paper and put them on your desk. On the one on the left I want you to write down all the things you do daily that someone else could do at your company. Or things you don't truly enjoy doing. On the other piece of the paper I want you to make a list of the things you feel you are most important that you do and that you like doing. Or where you can be utilized the best.

I recently did this as we prepare to add another position internally. What this does is form the foundation for the job description of what you'll be asking this other person to do. It's not the whole description, but you are well on your way. I was amazed that after just a short time I came up with 40 bullet points. Things that have to happen to make the company function, but maybe not necessarily things I need to be doing anymore. Example (and I'm not kidding): I like to cut the lawn at the office, deep down inside I'm a mowerhead. I grew up mowing grass and to this day still like the fresh air and smell. However, is it really the best use of an hour of my week? No.

Things like this will tell you when you need to add someone and what that person will look like, or eventually look like. If you make that list on the left, and you have 50 points, guess what? It's time to add someone to your company. Simple as that. You can't do everything, it just won't work.

There's the piece of advice for today.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."

Page generated in 0.03048 seconds with 7 queries