View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Good deal. Always glad to see new people in the web forum.

Correct. This was my point as the first sentence emphatically said otherwise, while obviously, that is not the case. I assumed you maybe had a misinterpretation of something you read, which is why I asked for a source. I now understand that you were speaking in absolutes.

(When I was trying to understand where you might be coming from, I thought maybe you had somehow played the "telephone game" and formed a hybrid of the news that Google+ and Places pages are merging but now Google says not to merge them for service area businesses that don't have a customer-receiving address, and to delete the + page.)

Completely agree. In fact, I think you can comfortably go beyond "some", which, I would guess, you recognize as well. I missed that line of interpretation by the OP, although I only skimmed the original post as Mihm's article has been linked here at least twice.

I see this on a day to day basis. And, yes, that's the definition. No need to submit proof, as I also know this to be true. My point was regarding your original comment. If you were to write it as a blog post, I think it would make a great link-bait title (not at all meant as a pejorative), albeit with an asterisk at the end, like "FYI: Google places & Organic listings are NOT being merged into 1 listing*." and then a sub-header of *...in all cases.

Blended results go back to 2010, but I get where your overall point is coming from. You're dead-on with your notion that it's, without a doubt, market and criteria-related. Although, to me, it's not a matter of following through completely, but is Google's attempt to continually display the "best" results. If that means they feel the need to display maximum Local results, then you'll see the 7 Pack. If it's not, then you might seen no Local, or a 3/4-Pack hybrid.

I find it more likely search volume related than anything else. In some loose, casual comparisons, I see it reflecting the Adwords traffic estimator and keyword suggestions. If you search [service, city], you might see the blended results. If you search [different way of saying service, city], you can see them turn on/off completely, or a hybrid of a 3 pack and backfill from pure organic or universal. "Lawn Care Service" and "Lawn Mowing Service" is one where I see this occur, although it's easily substituted with others. Sometimes, it's a simple matter of not showing Blended for shadier areas or known industries of abuse. If I search "web design columbus oh", there are zero Blended resutls. If I change it to "interior design columbus oh", the 7-Pack shows up. It's pretty obvious why this occurs. Like everything else, it's a matter of Google's whims, dial tweaks, and protective measures.

Count me as one who doesn't think join date means anything other than I haven't been banned. lol I love great discussions that go a layer deeper, and almost always those are going to find their origins steeped in miscommunication, misinterpretation, or an emerging idea. Only time you'll ever see me trot out the "I've been here longer than you" chest-puffing is when I reference my post on the death of meta keywords long, long ago, and even then it's only for amusement purposes.

I guess it comes down to what you define an "expert" as. In SEO, I'd give that label to no more than 10%, with the other 90 being, frustratingly, hustlers. It would be nice if the 10% was more prevalent but, quite sadly, that's not the case. Honestly, I can't recall ever seeing any legitimate expert say that all results are blended, or even alluding that there's any overwhelming majority.

Cheers and thanks for the great discussion points. Hopefully, people will test the different ways that they do or don't trigger local results for their keywords and start to see how everything is works together.

Good deal. Yeah, I've been lurking the past week or so

I'm just an seo guy that's planning to cut grass this spring, so I'm working on seo for my site and thought I'd look around to see what sort of response folks were getting from their websites/ppc/places, etc... or to see if many folks were even using it at all as my entire strategy revolves around places/seo/ppc to get the first handful of customers.

At any rate, after thumbing through the forum, this subforum in particular, it seemed to me that some of the seo advice was a bit advanced (and in some cases unnecessarily advanced) for users here when some of the lawn guys were still in the beginning stages of the learning process, (ie. asking for the definition of a backlink)

In all honesty, it sort of made me chuckle, but it also concerned me a bit as some seemed to just add to the confusion, because strategies will differ depending on the size of the market and the competition.

You're probably much like me in that you have or still do compete in SEO on a global scale, so what may seem like a lot of competition to some lawn folks is really just small potatoes only truly requiring the simplest concepts to gain great placement in google, and just a few strokes of the keyboard to gain maps listings.

You know, so I kinda took offense to some of the advice found throughout this subforum.

Last edited by BLC7; 01-13-2013 at 01:35 PM.

Page generated in 0.03483 seconds with 7 queries