View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
If you catch someone abusing your equipment or property, they should be let go.

The 'reward' payment for doing what any employee should be doing anyway is like a foreign concept. As an owner, you will spend more minutes throughout the day micromanaging to 'enforce' this policy.

For 4 employees, that would be an extra 560 a week

I would look into other ways to make employees feel valued, team building exercises, motivation techniques, etc that don't always have to be about money.

We are working on putting together team building exercises and safety and procedure courses.
As far as enforcing the policy, I agree, I don't want to be spending a lot of extra time record keeping something that an employee should already be doing.

Keeping track of time: I am playing with a cool iOS app/ website (www.mytimestation.com) that lets employees check in and out. (Before anyone responds well what if they don't have an iPhone. All my current employees have Iphones so it works for me now.) (Giving them an iphone as a bonus after a year or so is another idea.) I currently do this with one employee who I have had for a while. He got my old one when a new iPhone came out. He still pays a portion of the cell phone bill but it turns out its cheaper for the both of us to be on and share the plan.)

Keeping track of tools:If I were to assign tools to each individual they would have "ownership" over it. So if something happened to tool number "X" I know who is responsible. Employees may be more hesitate to let coworkers borrow their assigned tool because it affects their bonus if something would happen. You could just keep a checkmark system when you do routine maintenance and look over the equipment. This could also be a good reporting tool in the long run to see who costs you the less repairs.
Example: Obviously tires are a wear item but if you notice that one employees assigned equipment tires are wearing quicker, you could work with them to improve operating habits.
This past year 2 of my new employees left tires had flat areas on them. After watching them load the trailer after we cleaned them off one afternoon I noticed they take the left turn to go up the trailer ramp a little fast and on concrete that wears the tires. I informed the employees and helped them improve their habit. We rotated the tires instead of buying new ones since the right side still had plenty of tread and the worn tires were still ok and were not loosing air. At the end of the season you could tell by the tires that they have improved their driving habits and saving the company money from buying tires more frequently.

Page generated in 0.03515 seconds with 7 queries