View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
William,

A couple of things I think you should think about IMHO. The soil temps in our area currently are in the mid to upper 60's according to fawn and have been for awhile now, I am not aware if they have dropped significantly in the last month....with all that said it is my understanding that crabgrass can start germinating when soil temps reach 60 degrees for a week or more. So there is a possibility that the crabgrass has already started to germinate I would guess.

Second, beware of the pre's as if you are not familiar with them or you are not accurate with you application rates you can cause looping which could effect your lawns appearance in a manner which you may not have considered. Myself when I was doing my own lawn found Pre Emergents can be a little tricky.

I am assuming you are doing the application to your own lawn so have you had large issues with CG in the past or why do you feel the need to apply a pre?
This sums it up well for pre-m. I don't believe germination is yet a problem for anyone not over watering and keeping the soil fairly dry 2"- 3" deep. I think they have a good chance if applied and properly watered in before rains return. Anyone who has panic watered because its been so dry is definitely going to have CG. Even if we have a late frost/freeze I don't believe CG will be exposed enough to become greatly effected. Just my opinion...
Posted via Mobile Device

Page generated in 0.03664 seconds with 7 queries