View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
I have a 717A, 48" 7Iron deck, with a 19hp Kaw. I do no mulching, but do use a chute blocker for leaf work in the Fall. In normal cutting, I use standard OEM hi-lift blades.

99% of the time, the 19hp is enough power. Only when I have a long upward slope do I sense I need to pull back a bit on the sticks. All my cutting is cool weather, northern grasses. Sometimes in the Spring, the growth is heavy, and wet. But, I don't find the 19hp a problem, only a bit of a challenge from time to time.

However, having said that, I wonder if a 22hp engine would burn less fuel. I get about 6.5 service hours, out of the 8 gallon full tank of gasoline (1.2 gal/hr). I think this is high on fuel usage. My 15hp Kohler Command Pro, single cylinder, driving my w/b will burn about 0.65 gal/hr.

In general, I do not run hard. Only in a very few instances am I running more than 70% full speed, usually about 4mph. My properties are too rough to run faster. I know I cannot control my machine like I want at faster speeds. My body thanks me for running slower than full speed.
The 717 is a lot smaller and lighter machine than the 910 is, so you'd obviously get by with less HP. I think you're right about the 22 HP though, and have said that same thing on here before. It wouldn't have to work as hard to do the same job, so fuel economy and engine life longevity should be better.

Page generated in 0.04483 seconds with 7 queries