View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbow300 View Post
Wow!!! I have always thought of the guys working in the grass business as hard working folks. Sounds like we are not exempt from divas after all! I run all walks in my business, because they are more suitable for the topography in my area. I run sulkeys on the 61 and 52 inch decks, and walk behind the 48s. I'm sure everybody would prefer to sit and ride, but its not what is best for the turf, and not what is best for our clients. I find it easy to gain accounts from those companies that refuse to stand up and work. I have run ZTR's at times when we have accounts that require them, but those accounts typically come up for posted bid every year. There is always a new guy who misses the bid or is hungry enough to work for the "crack head" price. If we do not retain the account, out goes the ZTR. After years of running both ZTRs and walks, I am picking the walk. Sure I'm tired at the end of the day, but that is a common side effect of work. The ZTR is less fatiguing, but much harder on the lumbar spine.
Amen to the divas lol we have been running all walks since day one, we only have 2 zturns that barely get used, and i was reading all of this about how everyone would quit, and i had to laugh cause most of my guys hate running z turns, because if we had all zturns they would be trimming or push mowing 80% of our properties, as everything is hilly around here. But, pro turf thanks for your input i'm not sure you meant it to be a topic where everyone could bash you for being such an awful employer cause you make your guys work?, looks to me like your guys are pretty happy, they get to drive nice, nice trucks, run great equipment, and i'm sure you pay them all good. But, anyway great debate i guess lol

Page generated in 0.03100 seconds with 7 queries