View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrichsak View Post
Thanks for the posts fellas. I picked up a new Tacoma TRD (supercharged woot!) yesterday and now I'm getting ready to pick up the aerator tomorrow and get cracking.

That 2-wheel trailer is pretty bad ass. My only concern pulling that with a truck is that someone may not see it. Maybe not as big of a deal as your car since it's a little easier to see the trailer behind it but I don't need someone running over my $3k aerator that I had to drive hours to get. It also wouldn't be much use for getting mowers in and out and such too once I start doing that. I do like it though and will continue considering it because it sure would be nice to not even worry about getting that beast in and out of a truck dozens of times every day. Edit: I just looked at your pic again.. is that just a 2-wheel dolly that you modified?

The board idea sounds like it will be the most affordable and easiest to do on short notice. I can swing by Home Depot tomorrow and have everything I need within a matter of minutes. My only concern with these is making sure they 1) don't break under the weight of the aerator and myself (I'm a pretty stout dude) 2) They don't slip out while I'm up in the air (I could use tie downs to bumper to hold them against the gait but that would be time consuming to do every time) and 3) how difficult it would be and I guess this all depends on the length but I'm sure ideal length is no longer than the bed itself which will make for a somewhat steep angle. No problem for once or twice every now and then but to do dozens of times a day I could see it being a little more cumbersome. Maybe I'm over thinking these and maybe the beauty lies in the simplicity. I like this idea and likely will give it a try if nothing else as a temporary solution until I get something more permanent. Do you just push them together so there's no gap and then the three wheels (well, 2 & the drum) all fit on them at once?

The idea of a gate/ramp that replaces my tailgate is actually the most appealing to me at the moment. I did a quick Google search but didn't come up with much so I obviously used the wrong search terms. Who makes these? What do they cost? I envision something that looks like the grate style you see on landscaping trailers that stands tall or maybe even folds in half when you put it up. If it stood as tall as the cab when put up and folded in half this would make for a fairly long ramp when deployed for an easier/quicker load/unload. The downsides to this would be having to swap out my tailgate, the time it takes to locate one have here to utilize and probably cost. I would imagine something like this wouldn't be the cheapest piece of equipment to buy but would probably be worth it since I'm trying to avoid pulling a trailer... for now at least. If someone can get me some more information on this type of thing or get my pointed in the right direction for me to research I would appreciate it.

Thanks and keep 'em coming!
Found this set up the other day. I too am avoiding the trailer aspect. Streets can get pretty tight here in Portland. http://www.tailgateramps.com/

Page generated in 0.04791 seconds with 7 queries