View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Brandon, truthfully, I have been thinking about that this winter. What am I going to actually do when I am forced to shut down the biz due to lack of water? Our local snow pack is less than 50% normal, and I think the state average is at 65%. Water level is at about 65% in the reservoirs. One small town near me is called Palmer Lake. The lake is dry. It's a mud pit right now. Local utilities is back to restrictions again, and it may even start out as two days a week watering. In our climate, with no humidity, our grass cannot survive if we have the same conditions as last year. At 95+ degrees, no humidity, and no rain, even at three days a week it was tough.

Now here is the thing - I can schedule within the proper 2 or 3 days a week watering, and personally I CAN make the grass stay green and thrive. BUT - the issue is we SHOULD NOT do that!! If there are restrictions in place, it is for a reason, which is to save water. On a customers given days, I could set to run morning and evening, which is not forbidden in most restriction guidelines, that would give it either 4 or 6 cycles in a 2 or 3 day watering per week. But we are supposed to CONSERVE water, not work around the guidelines. Homeowners need to understand that in our conditions, a lush green lawn is not going to happen unless we waste water. They need to accept the fact that lawns will not be green if our climate or at least local weather patterns don't change. They need to keep the grass alive, not thriving. It can stay alive in a semi-dormant state, until it rains again.

Also, they ask/force us to conserve, and then continue to raise rates.
here's a recent local article http://www.gazette.com/articles/spri...do-levels.html

I am going to an ALCC meeting (local industry organization) next month, and that particular meeting is focused on drought and restrictions. Should be interesting. Will update. I'm not a member, but going as a guest of another company.

As for your trip out this way, glad you could make it. How do you feel about low or no humidity? I love it. Whenever I go to visit families on each coast, I can't wait to get back to the land of dried skin, chapped lips, and always needing a water bottle handy. Now taken even to another level at 6500' where the sun bakes your skin, dries out the lawn in an hour, and weathers the wooden deck like you wouldn't believe. Seriously, I prefer it though.
I've been to the Hoover dam as well, but not taken a guided tour. Neat place.

Page generated in 0.04433 seconds with 7 queries