View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_speedreed View Post
That sounds great but where are those trucks? I am not arguing with you. You were right a few years ago and you would still be right if you could find that deal today. I know they are out there but they are getting so hard to find. The hit on the sticker is disappearing until you get to a truck that is so beat up I would be scared to rely on it for my business.

Here is a link to the value of my truck if I was to go to a lot and find it as it sits now. If you don't want click the link the expected retail for my truck used right now is 39,650! That is more than I paid for it two years ago.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2011/...ted-4WD/Values

And here is a link to my truck if it had 50k miles and that is still more than I paid for it new.

http://www.kbb.com/toyota/tundra-dou...&pricetype=cpo

Yes, it would be great to buy used if you could find a decent truck at a decent price but I am just not seeing it. I used to only buy used. My first 3 trucks were used.

Also, besides being cheaper, new qualifies for 0% while used does not. The math just does not make sense now for buying used. Guys are keeping their trucks for 100k+ miles and only trading them in when they start being a headache. I for one do not want to inherit a headache.

My first truck, bought 8 years ago, is a 99 silverado 4x4 1/2 ton with 83k on it. Came with a western 7.5 ft plow. Paid 9k and used the truck full time for 6 years pulling a 7x16 enclosed in the summer and plowing winters in Erie PA. Now that truck is the primary plow truck and my 07 2500HD 4x4 is the plow back up. The 07 had 60k on it when I bought it for 19k, that is a savings around 11-13k.
Other than regular maintenance, the 99 has probably cost about 500 dollars a year in repairs. This coming summer will be the 3rd for the 07 and so far no repairs needed. I expect keeping the 07 parked for as many winters as possible will add many more years than I get from the 99. I'm a big fan of buying quality used and running them as long as possible.
Blizzard 860HD
7 1/2 ft Western Plow
Toro 7/24 snowblower
2 Toro CCR 2450 snowblowers
48" Allis Chalmers
48" Ferris WB
36" Exmark Viking
21" Toro
21" Poulan Pro
2- Echo PB755H
Echo & Ryobi trimmers
Echo PAS 265 & attachments