View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 02:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denlinger326 View Post
Thanks for the post lawnking, we started in residental mowing but here in dayton when generel motors left all the employees who took the buy out went and baught mowers. the residential market is so flooded around here and average yards are only getting $20 to $25. If I could gert $40 to $50 id be right back in it!!! This whole area is way too cheap and getting worse!
At $20-$25 a yard I would not even bother. I know of 2 medium size companies here that over the last 2 years have stopped chasing mowing work. Their focus has moved to the landscaping side. They still keep a crew around for mowing a day or 2 a week. For me brushmowing and mulch installs are much more profitable than mowing. Mowing is still a big chunk of my income and it is a steady revenue stream though. After years of not wanting to do snow removal, I finally realized the money I was leaving on the table and jumped into it this year. I only went out 3x this year, but the money was good. It does not snow like it used to around here.

Another thing I want to do more of is reseeding and arating. Seems like I am always busy running mowers to focus on some of the higher profit services. Diversification is the key to being a well rounded business. I have a very tight mowing route and this year I am not even sure I am going to accept any new mowing clients unless they are in a neighborhood I already service. I am constantly examining my numbers, if at some point I feel the mowing is not generating the profit I want to make I will dump my equipment and move onto other things without hesitation.
Posted via Mobile Device

Page generated in 0.03593 seconds with 7 queries