View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 06:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmaroad View Post
I'm up the road from you in Kingsport. I spray liquid for everything for WARM SEASON turf ON THE COAST, which is totally different from Fescue/Blue grass that we have here. My advise is to KNOW your Turf and its habits: ie, what does it look like when healthy, when is starved, when drought hits, how about fungus: do you know what it is and looks like and how to prevent it; almost every aspect. Visit a golf course superintendent. Fescue is the easiest grass to maintain. I will suggest that you only accept a few small lawns that you can take document and take through a whole season using a backpack and good spreader. This will teach you the turf, time management of each. IF you can accept a healthy lawn and some that aren't; such as weedy and poor soil conditions. Becoming a REAL Lawn expert is not an overnight job that you can get from a book. Weather will get you down at times or send your lawns into dormancy in the summer. Learn all of this so you can be honest with your clients.
How old are you? Hope you're in good physical shape. Lawn Care needs it. Very soon, you'll be able to take on an employee (Need to gross over $40K/person) to warrant each. Under that, your overhead, insurance, maintenance, salary will override your profit margin. Business practices are more than just writing a check.
Anyway just too much to write about. Go slow and think things through. PM ME EXACTLY WHAT YOU DO!!! . I'm in Knoxville often and might stop bye sometime if needed.
Roy
Roy....I met James (Knox gsl) 2 years ago through this site and hired him to help me with some things around my place. He's a bright guy with a strong work ethic. He's even helped me some in my business. Any knowledge you could share with him I'm sure would be appreciated.

James....good luck! Scott

Page generated in 0.03795 seconds with 7 queries