View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I recognize that , that is what it is supposed to be all about, but in reality, it has no more understanding of how microbes live in the soil environments than the synthetic fertilizer crowd... the Sumagreen discussion convinced me that understanding microbes is about a superficial and understanding sunshine...
If you have something to offer in regards to Long Term benefits of CT,,,I'd like to hear it... but as it stands right now those microbes will die and their dead bodies, feed the grass... no long term nutrient cycling is even discussed...
Same ol' cliches of "Proper Irrigation and Cultural Practices" that the synthetic people use... That's a generic cliche that has no real meaning,,, but that is all we hear....

Prove me wrong... I would love to be proven wrong so that we can move beyond superficial, soils 101 mentality...
It's been explained several times on these forums how active compost tea and some of the bottled microbial products are important tools to improve nutrient availability on demand of the plant rather than a calendar timed application of synthetic fertilizer, fight diseases and improve drought tolerance while reducing pesticide usage and nutrient runoff. I've made no claims that these are miracle cures which replace sound cultural practices. There is no one time fix when managing turf, it's an ongoing process whether it is biological or chemical.

When using chemicals, the cultural practices are not as important because then it is possible to grow grass even on concrete, but there are health and environmental consequences. Cultural practices become more important when working to improve soil health and being able to grow healthy turf with less detrimental inputs. Adding the appropriate microbiology will over time improve the soil and over time less applications are required.

It's unfortunate that you are unable to understand the difference between a biologically active system and a chemical approach. There is nothing superficial about understanding soil microbiology. There is much to learn and it is rather complicated. Science is just barely scratching the surface.

I would rather not participate in circular arguments. If you wish to learn more find a way to take some classes from people who have used these methods successfully. Since you're in Wisconsin, I suggest you visit http://www.greaterearthorganics.com/ and call the owner Bob Posthuma. Have an in depth conversation with him regarding the successes he has seen. I hate to type.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt

Page generated in 0.04306 seconds with 7 queries